Tuesday, December 29, 2015

The 2016 AJ Fikry Reading Challenge

A.J Fikry Reading Challenge 2016

Created By: Me, at MyBookishEmpire

In lou of just completing the novel, The Storied Life of AJ Fikry By: Gabriel Zevin I would like to make 2016 the year of short stories for me and whomever joins me... I am going to be reading the short stories that came at the front of each chapter this year to broaden my reading horizons. There is a Goodreads page set up to join in on the fun where we will be reading one or two stories a month and discussing them. 

The Stories: 
  1. Lamb to the Slaughter
    1. By:Roald Dahl
  2. The Diamond as big as the Ritz
    1. By:F Scott Fitzgerald
  3. The Luck of Roaring Camp
    1. By: Bret Harte
  4. What feels like the World
    1. By: Richard Bausch
  5. A Good Man is Hard to Find
    1. By: Flannery O'Connor
  6. The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County
    1. By:Mark Twain
  7. The Girls in Their Summer Dresses
    1. By:Irwin Shaw
  8. A Conversation with My Father
    1. By: Grace Paley
  9. A Perfect day for Bananafish
    1. By: JD Salinger
  10. The Tell Tale Heart 
    1. By: Edgar Allen Poe
  11. Ironhead
    1. By: Aimee Bender
  12. Moby Dick
    1. By: Hermin Melville
    2. This will be read because of the bar in town with all of the cocktails named after characters in this literary work, and one I feel we all should read.
These are the books that will be read in honor of The Storied Life of AJ Fikry throughout 2016, I have created a goodreads page for you all to join me if you like, and remember these are all short stories that are cheap or free on Kindle, Nook, or Kobo.

I hope to see some of you over on the Goodreads page for some well deserved conversation about these short stories, Threads will be posted as the months come.

3 comments:

  1. Moby Dick is not a short story......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good Wil. Some good reads in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Paul! Emily I do know that Moby Dick is not a short story, however if you read this book you would see the importance of it to the novel, and that is why I want to read it in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete