Review 3-28-16

Illuminae
By: Jay Kristoff and Amie Kauffman 
Review

Plot: "This morning, Kady thought breaking up with Ezra was the hardest thing she’d have to do.

This afternoon, her planet was invaded.

The year is 2575, and two rival megacorporations are at war over a planet that’s little more than an ice-covered speck at the edge of the universe. Too bad nobody thought to warn the people living on it. With enemy fire raining down on them, Kady and Ezra—who are barely even talking to each other—are forced to fight their way onto an evacuating fleet, with an enemy warship in hot pursuit." (Goodreads)
  • I felt the plot was fast paced and entertaining.
  • It brought up some unique questions we may have to answer someday, like what to do if an AI becomes sentient and evil? 
  • The plot was fun, however if you have read much Science Fiction I think you may see a fair few tropes being used in this, I will say that it is lacking aliens though.

Tag Line: Have you ever wondered what the Walking dead would be like in space, with a sentient AI? 
    • If you have then this book is for you!

General: 
  • I was skeptical in the beginning if I was going to enjoy this or even connect with the characters based on the format, although I found that I became very attached by the end of the novel.
  • This was a very fast read, in plot and especially in the storytelling. Because this was entirely files and conversations when I was able to site down with it I flew through it!
  • The typography seen in this book is impressive, I would show you but they happen on the most spoiler filled pages so you should pick it up just for that :)

Writing: 
  • Because this book was written in the style that it was I felt that the writing was less important tha a traditional novel.
    • That is not to say the writing was bad, however there was little bursts of descriptive prose and the rest was reading the accounts and files.
    • I will say that these two can both write characters incredibly well!
  • Again the designs created by the texts, while sometimes a bit weird to read in public made the book all the better.
Characters:
  • I will not be going into detail on any characters since I feel this book is so heavily character based.
  • I will say that I especially connected with Ez and Kady though, they to me felt like that could be real people that one may meet on the streets.
  • The AI AIDAN, damn what an evil piece of technology!  nothing more to be said without spoilers

Rating: 5/5 
  • This was a uniquely written book, with a great set of characters and an entertaining plot. Entertainment value is worth this rating, not because anything profound or ground breaking occurred. 
Happy Reading!
I will be back on Wednesday with a fun general bookish post, I'll talk to you all then!
Leave a comment bellow telling me your favorite Sci-Fi reads, after this one I am craving more :)

Comments

Popular Posts