Descender Volume 1

Descender Vol. 1 
By: Jeff Lemire & Dustin Nguyen (illustrator)
Review


Plot: 
        This graphic novel follows a companion robot named Tim-21 and the people trying to capture him to gain access to the unique technology that he holds within. The story starts with UGC members going to search for him, finding him and then fleeing as fast as possible before the scrappers get them. But who will win this technological race? 

Art: 
  • This art is all done in watercolor with very vibrant and unique color pallets.
  • I love the style in this, it is so whimsical and beautiful.
  • The quality of the art alone should get us to pick this up!
  • There are pages where the illustrator uses thematic colors such as pinks and reds, or oranges and greens to send the felling of a place to you. This atmospheric way she paints adds so much to the story!
  • Sample Pages: Photos taken by me!




General Thoughts:
  • I really enjoyed the fast paced and well thought out sci-fi plot!
  • Even after just one volume I could feel myself being pulled in and rooting for characters to win, and that takes talent to do with a graphic novel in my book.
  • This took me no time at all to read, it is e=immersive and very engaging once you meet Tim-21, up until that point you will just be awe stricken with how gorgeous the artwork is throughout!
Cons: 
  • I felt that this should have been longer in a single volume, but that is just because I am impatient for the next volume to release.
  • They aren't all released at this point in time :( .
Hopes for future volumes: 
  • I would love to see more in depth what is going on in the scrapper world, and back on the UGC home planet.
  • I am curious as to where the other bots are and who has access to them, because that could give them a hand in any technological advances they plan to make in the next few years.
  • I want to see more of the dynamic on the ship traveling as well, I feel like these characters could be the funniest thing to watch when they are all forced into a small location.
Rating: 5/5 stars
  • I know sometimes I can be liberal with my star ratings, POST COMING SOON about that. But this was genuinely one of my favorite graphic novels right up there with Rat Queens, although this art style wins by a long shot!
Happy Reading!
Please let me know in the comments what some of your favorite graphic novel series are, I am on a search for more :)


Comments

Popular Posts