The Elfstones of Shannara
Take this review with a grain of salt, keep in mind that I am fairly new to the fantasy genre and the classical genre for sure, so my point of view is skewed. However I really enjoyed this novel on the whole.
"Ancient Evil threatens the Elves: The ancient tree created by long-lost Elven magic, is dying. When Wil Ohmsford is summoned to guard the Amberle on a perilous quest to gather a new seed for a new tree, he is faced with the Reaper, the most fearsome of all Demons. And Wil is without power to control them...."(Goodreads)
- These characters are flat at the beginning of the story with some interesting plot points.
- The characters have a tendency to grow on you as the story progresses.
- Not the best characters ever created, however along with the epic tale that Terry told and their mediocre character development it made for a fun time!
- Overall the characters were cool to read about even if their personality didn't grow on me as much as some others do.
- This is the MAJOR fault I have in this novel is just Brooks' writing with a very heavy handed dose of repetition.
- For example Brooks told the reader of the Elcrys first dying and then proceeded to repeat the same exact story to each character who came into the plot line.
- This is not known to be one f the best books, it is almost methodical in its style and plot movements.
- It is a fun ride to go on watching Wil and Amberle grow as people and take on the Demons of old.
- I found this story to be incredible in scope, it was a self contained storyline in one 500 page book which rarely happens.
- The book was fun and cool, however the television show is not something that I would recommend as it does not stick to the book as well as I would prefer.
Rating: 3.75 stars
I found this book to be so enjoyable because this was the first classical fantasy novel that I have read. In liking this one so much I cannot wait to begin the Lord of The Rings By: JRR Tolkien.