Graphic Novel Reviews!
Graphic Novel Reviews
Nimona By: Noel Stephenson
Plot: A shapeshifting girl who teaches evil that good can be worth the sacrifices that you need to make to attain it!
"Nimona is an impulsive young shapeshifter with a knack for villainy. Lord Ballister Blackheart is a villain with a vendetta. As sidekick and supervillain, Nimona and Lord Blackheart are about to wreak some serious havoc. Their mission: prove to the kingdom that Sir Ambrosius Goldenloin and his buddies at the Institution of Law Enforcement and Heroics aren't the heroes everyone thinks they are." (Goodreads)
- The artwork is OKAY for me, it was nice but not my favorite that I have every seen.
- I really enjoyed Nimona, her character building allowed me to feel a connection to her that I rarely feel within any book let alone a graphic novel character.
- I found the idea behind this book to be great! However I found that this could have been written in a better way rather than the satyrical and outlandish way it was formatted.
- Honestly who calls a character Goldenloins?!
- I just found this graphic novel to be a fun jont that I may flick through again for some fun :) Or if I am crunched for space I will not hesitate to rid it from the shelves.
- The ending gave me a tear jerk and that is what saved this whole book for me, as I tent to enjoy books that will emotionally drain me and make me connect to the characters.
The Wicked & Divine Volumes 1-2:
Plot: "Every ninety years, twelve gods incarnate as humans. They are loved. They are hated. In two years, they are dead. The team behind critical tongue-attractors like Young Avengers and PHONOGRAM reunite to create a world where gods are the ultimate pop stars and pop stars are the ultimate gods. But remember: just because you’re immortal, doesn’t mean you’re going to live forever." (Goodreads)
- The artwork was stunning and right up my street!
- I loved the bright and clashing colors that they used in these issues.
- The characters have that animated TV character feel that I am missing from the shows that I watched as a child.
- I loved the characters:
- Sin was my favorite and she was acting as Satan, which is odd that she is my favorite. I loved the sass and flamboyance that she exuded as she lept from the page!
- I love the others for their realistic attitudes towards the world and witty banter. If you do not know yet, I am a sucker for sarcasm and wit!
- In general the plot was fun and epic in scope, and I cannot wait to continue on when the third volume arrives in the mail!
- Stunning art, Sass, and quirk are the three words I would use to define this series so far.
Booktube SFF Awards tie in: I will be voting up The Wicked & Divine Volume 2, however I will demote Nimona for its lack of substance and art style.
I hope you all enjoyed this little foray into Graphic novels that I am doing! I will have a selection of graphic works reviews for you all each month if I am able to get a hold of some :)