Reading Multiple Books at Once: A Discussion

Discussion: 
Reading Multiple Books at Once

I am sure we all have tried this method of reading, I am sure some of us even prefer to read multiple books at once; though it does not work for me. I do not understand how people are able to read multiple books at a time, I find myself always favoring one book over another. When I set out to read multiple books at once, I always have a reason for it because I know that I will end up favoring only one book by the end. This time my reasoning for trying to read multiple books at once was to try and complete some review copies for the blog. And as predicted it slowed down my reading pace a lot! I am still reading Americanah by: Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche, Jerusalem by: Alan Moore, and Summerlong by: Peter S. Beagle all of which are books I have to read and review for either the publisher or a private journal. I feel awful about slogging through books but I am hopefully going to be able to plow through them very soon. My strategy when I read this many books at once is to: 
  1. Divide the book into sections. 
  2. Read one section of each every day. 
  3. Write some notes on that section to have for the review.
  4. READ!
This only works partially because I have very little time after doing work and other obligations to read daily, thus making these books stretch out over a long time frame. I would like to be able to read more in a day, alas I am a slow reader trying to read HUGE books. When reading slowly through multiple books it limits the amount of reviews that I can post and write for you guys, which is not something that I like doing. When I read a single book at a time, assuming it is not 1300 pages I can usually read it in one week, however I am a scatter brain when it comes to reading multiple books. 

I am going to slow down on my multi-book reading soon as soon as these three books are done because I need to sit and enjoy just one book in order to give it the attention it deserves for its review. I am going to focus on Jerusalem first because that was kindly sent to me from the publisher Liveright in June, yes June and it still is not done. In all fairness it is about 1300 pages and is going to take any reader a large chunk of time to dive into. 

I would love to be reading multiple books at once, however I am finding that I will always favor just one of the books that I am currently reading and complete that one first. I am abandoning the mountain of books on my TBR for the next week or so and I am going to solely focus on the amazing tome, Jerusalem. 

Questions: Answer these in the comments please. 
  • How do you read multiple books at one time? 
  • How do you make the most out of your reading time, to read more?
  • What are you currently reading? 
Happy Reading! 

~Sorry I had to run so fast. So many books to read, so little time!
Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts