The Secret History by: Donna Tartt

The Secret History
By: Donna Tartt 
Review

Yesterday, 11.18.17 I completed The Secret History by: Donna Tartt. This was both thrilling for me to complete, and terrifyingly sad. This 600+ page tome has been my constant companion for well over a month dominating my reading time and headspace, though yesterday it stopped being my companion. I read this book in physical form while Tartt narrated the audiobook in the background, and now her hauntingly perfect portrayal of these characters will not be present in my daily life. I know this is a rather dramatic way to open a review, though in truth this is how I feel about finishing this book. 

For those who do not know what this book is, it is Donna Tartt's first novel released in the 1990's following a group of Greek students at a fictitious Vermont College after they murder their friend and classmate. This is not a spoiler, as it is mentioned in the opening lines of the prologue. Tartt takes a new approach with this novel, making it instead of a who done it mystery, she made it a why done it mystery. Knowing that this group of college students murdered their friend did not make it any more predictable throughout the reading process. The incredibly dynamic and complex characters will constantly shock you with their actions and range of emotions.

Tartt said in many interviews that Dickens was her favorite author, that is apparent when reading this novel with her rich descriptions and multilayered characters. Some of my favorite characters included: Richard (the viewpoint character), Henry, Julian, and Camilla. Each of these characters followed a complete progression of emotions and reactions which they used to cope with the murder. No character is perfect in this novel, leaving the reader to evaluate their worth. Playing judge, jury and council for each of these characters I was reminded of the Greek ideology of justice; though every reaction I had to the characters in this book did not balance the scales.

If character development and a riveting why done it mystery does not attract you to pick up this book, Tartt's writing certainly should. Tartt has a way with words that allows her to describe even the most mundane of emotions and objects through a kaleidoscope of color. Her sentences are simple and short for the most part, each word was chosen to capture every sensation. The descriptions of the Vermont landscape are impeccable and capture the very atmosphere that this small New England state exudes. These descriptions of Vermont's landscapes begin on page one of the prologue and from then on you become immersed in the complex small town life in Vermont. My love for this book is biased slightly for her setting, as this is where I live. Even with beautiful descriptions of my home state, Tartt still managed to convey condescension for Vermonters which angered me. 

Her descriptions of the local people found in Hampden (fictional town) always had a derogatory spin to them. Whether she was calling them a bunch of telemarketers when contemplating a jury for the trial, or just speaking with haughty disdain in her narration of the book. While her seemingly poor opinion of Vermont locals did annoy me, I think it was just because she read the book and had to act the part of spoiled college student. 

This book has captured my heart through the brilliance of plot, character growth, discussions surrounding grief and death, as well as the perfect description of Vermont life. If I could give each one of you one book this year that I felt you would enjoy and learn from, it would be The Secret History or War and Peace.

Rating: 5 stars

Happy Reading!

Comments

Popular Posts