Reading Pace: A Musing

Reading Pace: 
A Musing

First in this I would like to apologize for my absence in the middle of last week. My absence was for fear that I did not have anything new to review or talk about, however, I have come to realize that even without reviewing each week that I do have bookish content to which I can elaborate on. Today's post is on reading pace, how it changes with each book, and how it is currently affecting me. 
Slow Down and see the beauty, Photo by: Me

Reading pace, that feeling which draws you and guides you to completing a book. The tenacity with which each reader approaches a new book. The pace at which I read a book varies vastly depending on a multitude of different things such as, quality of writing, plot, language, and enjoyment level. These attributes all come together and help to formulate the pace at which I read. Reading a riveting thriller novel usually will put me at the edge of my seat and captivate my attention until it is complete, where as a literary novel with beautiful prose and atmosphere demands a slower pace. Reading at this fast and at times manic pace adds to the experience and meaning which the author is trying to convey, the urgency to escape, solve a murder, or hide from unspeakable evil. The pacing of a novel can also hide the author's flaws. If a novel is written to a breakneck pace the reader is less likely to notice poor writing and character development, because they are trying to keep up with a riveting plot. Reading a literary fiction novel or classic often will have the reverse effect, by forcing the reader to slow down and comprehend every word, the author is able to explore their themes and characters upon a deeper level.

 Reading at this slower pace allows me to absorb everything which the author is discussing, and to enjoy and unravel the mystery behind the language used. A slower read often times frustrates me, as I am a person motivated, as many of us are, by progress and checking off boxes. In order to feel accomplished I need to complete a task, or a novel towards my yearly goal, and with slow books that happens at a much slower rate. 

Just because my reading pace is slower, does not always mean I am disliking the book. Reading at a slow pace allows you as the reader to fully immerse yourself into the story and live in the moment for the longest possible time. It is that feeling of captivation and immersion which I seek in my books most of all. When a book finally catches my full attention I will slow to a snail's pace when reading , to ensure I do not miss any aspect of the story.  This slow pace has consumed me at the moment with Donna Tartt's novel, The Secret History. This novel is written with exquisite care and finesse to highlight each meaning through the layers of character growth, development, and plot. The writing is so simplistic and beautiful at times that I pause just to absorb the meaning, all the more reason why reading it is going slowly. Though I am reading this book slowly, I can almost assure you that this 600+ page tome will be a new favorite shrouded in dust upon my shelves. 

At this time I am reading slowly to absorb all of the information and complexities which Donna Tartt is discussing in her novel about the psyche and human responses to death, though in no means should that indicate a bad book. I am experiencing this book through both the written word, and the author herself narrating an audiobook. Her voice I find to be captivating and haunting all in the same breath which has reduced my urge to speed up the audiobook and finish sooner. Listening to the deep sombre notes of Tartt's voice while reading will entice even the most manic reader to slow down and enjoy the written word. I hope soon to pick up a more plot driven novel to increase my momentum whilst reading, though 200 pages left of The Secret History may slow that down. 

Happy Reading!


Comments

Popular Posts