My War and Peace Summer

My War and Peace Summer

Hello Everyone, 

By this point in my blog, I am sure you are all tired of hearing me yap on about my summer in New York where I will be studying birds with my university, though today I have some rather daunting and exciting news about those summer plans. First I am moving into my first apartment for the summer tomorrow which is devilishly exciting to think that I will be able to decorate and cook in my own style, not only that, it also means that since we will not have cable or TV in anyway there that I will be able to indulge in the silence and read. Having only Netflix and books this summer and the wilderness as my entertainment is wildly exciting and I cannot wait! 

You all will know by the title of this post that this summer I intend to read War and Peace by: Leo Tolstoy. Why would I want to take on such a challenge you might be asking yourselves right now, well let me explain my motives. War and Peace, much like Ulysses is looked at to be the highest achievement a reader can attain through reading the tome, that being said I am not getting any younger at this point and I should take advantage of the reading that I can do now. That being said I have fallen in love with the new Broadway Musical, Natasha, Pierre, and The Great Comet of 1812 written by Dave Malloy. This play is based on the romance in War and Peace, being that I would love to attend the show at the end of the summer I MUST read the source material first. I would also like to read this book since it is many people's favorite book of all time, and it aligns with my fascination about Russia. 

My Copy of War and Peace
I will be joining in and reading from the Vintage Classic Red Spine version of War and Peace which is translated by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volkhonsky. This book has a total page count of 1,217 pages, with rather small font so we will see if I can complete it. Sadly my copy which I bought second hand is slightly waterlogged, and I was unaware of that at the time of the purchase, however if I love it I will purchase a pristine copy. 

This book will take me the entirety of the summer to read and enjoy, though I aim to take it slow so that I am able to have these characters keep me company throughout my time away from home. I am going to be reading this with a Buddy Reading Group that is hosted by Ange and Yamini who are from BeyondthePages and TheSkepticalReader on YouTube. This readalong will start on June 1st and run through the 31st of July 2017, each day we will be reading approximately six chapters to slowly work our way through this tome. They have a Twitter account that you can check out if you would like to join in on the fun, WP Read-a-Long. I am so excited to start and I cannot wait to dive into this richly rewarding read. The reading schedule can be found on this Spreadsheet

Links: 

Needless to say, I am crazy about Russia and their literature, I cant wait to dive into the greatest classic to come from Russia very very soon! What are you reading this summer, will you be diving into a tome as well?

Happy Reading!

Comments

Popular Posts