October 2017 TBR

October 2017 
TBR

Autumn is finally here! Today I am blogging to tell you about my reading goals for the month of October. This stack, as usual is very very ambicious. I have two major goals for the month of October which has shaped my to be read pile (TBR) for the month. 

  1. I am attempting to read all of the Man Booker 2017 shortlisted books prior to the announcement on October 17th. I have currently read one of the six shortlisted books, Exit West  by: Mohsin Hamid. You can find my review of Exit West on the homepage. That being said I will need to complete five more novels: 
    1. History of Wolves by: Emily Fridlund 
      1. I have begun to read this book, and I look forward to seeing how she wraps up the story.
    2. Lincoln in the Bardo by: George Saunders
    3. 4 3 2 1 by: Paul Auster
      1. I have begun the epic journey that is this book, it may be a long book, but it is going to be an interesting look at multiple life story. The writing is fairly dense and simply written which makes me less drawn to pick it up, however hear Auster himself read in on audiobook should help me get through it on time. 
    4. Elmet by:Fiona Mozley 
    5. Autumn by: Ali Smith
Reading a prize shortlist in one month will push my ability to schedule and block out time to read, however if it works in my favor I will get to read some of the years best books! I am most excited for Elmet by: Fiona Mozley out of the entire shortlist, though it is still being shipped to me from the U.K. As soon as it arrives I will be picking it up and reading it voraciously. 

The second goal for this month is to read some books related to the Russian Revolution of 1917, which is having its 100th anniversary this month. For this I have three books that I would love to read, all of which are nonfiction accounts of events surrounding the Russian revolution. I think it is important for us (the world) to read about revolts and revolutions so that we are aware of the dangers of them, and their implications on society. Any revolution has the opportunity to be beneficial to a select few, and harmful to others; though seeing both sides objectively I believe is crucial to empathy and understanding. In honor of the anniversary of the Russian Revolution I will be reading the following books about the events that took place. 
  1. Spies and Commissars by: Robert Service
    1. This non-fiction account covers the early days of the Russian revolution. 
  2. Caught in the Revolution by: Helen Rappaport 
  3. October by: China Mieville
These are the books which I will attempt to tackle this month. I will post reviews of each as I finish them so you all can track my progress. 

Happy Reading!

Comments

Popular Posts