Autumn by:Ali Smith Review

Autumn
by: Ali Smith
Review

Just this past week I completed, Ali Smith's Autumn, which I read in anticipation for the anouncement of the Man Booker 2017 winner being announced on October 17th. I must say that out of all of the books shortlisted for this years prize, I was most nervous for this novel. I had heard prior to reading it that it is a novel centered about Brexit and the chaos that ensued in Britain afterwards, myself being from America and with no real grounding on the Brexit issue feared it would go over my head. Man could I not have been further from the truth!

While, yes, Ali Smith does muse on the effects of Brexit and the future of Britain, I do not feel as though that was her sole aim. Her aims that were apparent to me include: 
  1. Discussing relationships between differing age groups
  2. Love 
  3. Coping with the world's increasing turmoil
  4. Finding a peaceful way to protest the injustice of society. 
  5. Obsession, in the positive sense
  6. Art
Smith manages to fit all of these multifaceted discussions and plot points into a novel that just barely spans the 260 page mark. This novel follows a non linear plotline which unlike many other novels that I have read, does not blur together into one convoluted narrative. Her characters of Daniel and Elisabeth are fully realized and well rounded beings that will leap from the page when you dare to explore the depths which Ali Smith is taking you to. These characters will grow on you through each page, and in the end feel as though they were family. Daniel's fatherly love for the much younger Elisabeth is heart warming and addresses the complicated issues of relationships very well; in the end showing how an elderly man can befriend a young woman. These two characters not only will show the reader ways through morally murky waters, but also give them comfort in a time when we need it most. 

The world at this moment seems to be unravelling faster than a spool of yarn. Though after reading about Elisabeth and her mother's issues and confrontations with the law and political changes, I was inspired to carry on and just remain the nice and genuine human that I am and to have hope that it wil all right itself one day. That is not to say that Smith's message was to sit back and watch the world change, no, her message was to stand peacefully for what you believe in and not to back down. 

Through life-like characters and short and simplistic writing Ali Smith has both entertained me greatly and given me the hope and strength to believe that humanity might change. Her commentary upon Brexit allowed an outsider (me) to experience the confusion and frustration of Britain too; this is something I did not think was possible until today. Walking a mile in someone else's shoes as Smith shows you in Autumn allows the best of us to feel justified and not alone in our mixed emotions that have arisen in these times.

Even if you are leary of Smith's heavy social commentary and the confusion that it may bring, I strongly suggest everyone read this novel.

Rating: 5/5 Stars 

Happy Reading!

Comments

Popular Posts