Japan in January

 Japan in January:

Exploring Japanese culture through literature #InvisibleCities.


Hello all, 


    Up until this point, the #InvisibleCities project has been a lot of planning and logistics, but now it is time to put our eyes to the test and get reading. For the month of January I am going to be focussing on Japan. I intend to read, cook, and watch films from the region. This is the list of the books that I am going to choose from in the coming month. 


  • The Tale of Genji
     
    • By: Murasaki Shikibu 
    • Publisher: Everyman's Library
    • ISBN: 9780679417385
    • I intend to start this very long book during the month of January and continue until I finish. I read a selection from this book during one of my university literature courses which peaked my interest, however until now I have not made the time to tackle this tome. 
  • Confessions of a Mask
    • By: Yukio Mishima
    • Publisher: New Directions
    • ISBN: 9780811201186 
    • I have yet to read anything by this author, however his work has been mentioned by many whom I trust as the pinnacle of Japanese writing. With this ringing endorsement I cannot wait to start this and experience all that Mishima has to offer. 
  • The Makioka Sisters 
    • By: Junichiro Tanizaki 
    • Publisher: Vintage UK
    • ISBN: 9781784875435
    • This is going to be the first book I read in 2021. I have selected this as my first read of the year because many readers I trust have raved about the writing and rich family drama that is tells, and I am always intrigued by a good family drama. This book clocks in at a hefty 562 pages, indicating that I will likely have to read this one throughout the month. 
  • Before the Coffee Gets Cold 
    • By: Toshikazu Kawaguchi
    • Publisher: Picador
    • ISBN: 9781529029581
    • This short novel caught my attention because it mixes literary fiction with science fiction to create a unique tale of love and loss, or so I am told. This book revolves around a booth in a cafe where you can travel back in time as long as the coffee is hot. Once the coffee cools you are transported back to reality. All in all this intriguing plot, short length, and beautiful cover enticed me to try Kawaguchi for #InvisibleCitiesProject. 
  • Earthlings
    • By: Sayaka Murata 
    • Publisher: Grove Press 
    • ISBN: 9780802157003
    • I selected this book after enjoying Murata's first book translated into English, Convenience Store Woman. Murata's prose is sparse and direct, however, her stories are nuanced and filled with quirky characters that will linger in the readers psyche. I expect nothing less of this new book released in English for the first time in 2020. This book follows our protagonist who does not fit in with her family, casually has a talking Hedgehog plushie, and believes she belongs on an alien planet with her Hedgehog. This checks all the boxes of Murata's work that I love, quirk, endearing characters, and direct prose. 

Comments

Popular Posts