School is Out, Time to Read!

Summer Planning!

Hello Everyone, 

I am back after a very very long hiatus from reading much and blogging. I have been at university finishing off my junior year studies in biology, and man has this semester been rough on my reading time. Throughout this semester I have managed to read a total of twelve books. Given this semester's harsh course load and multiple family situations, I would call that a success. 

I am now conducting research for the summer away from my home in New Hampshire. This work will be field work looking at more endangered bird species. This work will be physically and mentally taxing, however I have come prepared to the North Woods with 30+ books at my ready to read. I do not think that I will get through everything that I brought with me, however I will try my hardest to enjoy those that I have with me. Some of the books in my collection that I am eager to begin with are: 

  • Anna Karenina by: Leo Tolstoy
  • The Magpie Murders by: Anthony Horowitz
  • Arcadia by: Ian Pears
  • East of Eden by: John Steinbeck
  • Waking Gods by: Sylvain Neuvel
  • The Hotel New Hampshire by: John Irving
  • The Cider House Rules by: John Irving 
  • The World According to Garp by: John Irving
Along with these I have brought a select few seminal biological materials to read such as: 

  • The Diversity of Life by: E.O. Wilson
  • The Sand County Almanac by: Aldo Leopold
  • A Naturalist at Large by: Bernd Heinrich
Needless to say, I clearly am not aiming to complete all of these books that I have brought with me. However, like any normal bookworm would, I find having books around me to be soothing and comforting. Which is something that I am sure to need this summer being exposed to so many new projects and landscapes. 

You all may be wondering what I will be doing for a posting schedule, and to be honest, at the moment I do not have a set plan that I am going to attempt to stick with. That being said, I do intend to post something once each week at a minimum to check in and share my "Irving Summer". Last summer I consumed War and Peace by: Leo Tolstoy, and enjoyed it more than words can explain. Reading such a large book which took a long time allowed me to create a normalcy and pattern in life conducting field research, that sense of normalcy and enjoyment is what I am looking for in the pages of Irving's books. 

I am back, and hopefully, here to stay. Please check in regularly to see my progress both in my research endeavors, and in my reading life over the next few months. And thank you to all who have stuck around the blog in this strange hiatus. 

As always, 
Happy Reading!

Comments

Popular Posts