Freedom By: Jonathan Franzen

Freedom
By: Jonathan Franzen 
A Review

Let me be completely honest in this review, by first saying that I would have never found this book if it were not for the amazing show Parks and Recreation. In one of the many episodes, Leslie Knope recommends this book to her best friend Anne. I had previously heard of Franzen's work, however, up until this point I had not considered picking anything up written by him. I do not know why I was not initially attracted to his novels, perhaps I was too involved in the fantasy and science fiction genres to realize the gems I had right in front of me. 

FreedomThis nearly 700 page novel consumed my life for the span of four days, and has not released its grip since I turned the last page. This novel discusses many topics, including: 
  • Wildlife Conservation
  • The global population crisis
  • Dysfunctional families
  • Love 
  • Adolescence and growing up
To some this will seem as though Franzen was reaching for every and all the topical themes when he wrote this book in 2010, though I assure you this novel handles each with care and zeal. Each theme adds a new layer to the story and plot driven by a complex cast of characters who are all trying to do the "right" thing. Patty, the dysfunctional mother of two showed how the events of the past haunt us even as we grow old and separate ourselves from the events in time and location. Patty's complex character goes through multiple iterations and flashbacks throughout the novel that allows the reader to have a glimpse into her past, these flashbacks made Patty a fully realized character. Joey, the son, embodies the stereotype of teenage angst and lust that many will relate to. Joey can be irksome and rude at times, however, in the end all he wants is to show his father that he can support himself. This feeling of justifying/supporting oneself to family is the reason that I was able to connect with Joey as a character. Though Joey hits roadblocks and turmoil along the way, he kept his eyes on the prize and kept working to achieve his peculiar goals. This determination and grit is something that we can all take from this novel, though we should avoid some of Joey's other proclivities. Joey, Patty, and Walter (the father) are only some of the many fully realized and engaging characters introduced throughout this novel. 

The topical discussion of wildlife conservation, and the population crisis were attributes that normally would not draw my attention to a novel, though with my current job it increased the novel's sentimental value to me. I currently work studying a threatened bird species to understand why populations are declining, how to reduce predation, and studying behavior; much like Walter's aims are in this novel, our goal is to learn about a species and give it the best chance possible to thrive in the future. These themes may have more impact on myself due to my current circumstances, however, if you are at all concerned about conservation, global warming, or the population crisis I would urge you to read this!

The writing is clean, and to the point. Franzen's simplistic writing style allowed his brilliant themes and messages to shine through and impress themselves upon the reader. Though this novel is marketed as an adult novel, I would strongly discourage children under the age of thirteen reading this novel for the mature content described regarding growing up, and lust.

All in all, this is the best book I have read this year so far! I am anticipating that it will remain in a high spot through the remaining months since the messages and characters made such a large impression on me. I would recommend this book to those who are conservation minded, young adults (20's) and those who are a fan of clean, crisp writing and an engaging plot. 

Rating: 5 Stars

Happy Reading!

Comments

Popular Posts