Broadway Review

Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812
Review


August 23rd 2017, 
Me, in awe of it all waiting to enter the theater.

I boarded a train at 10:25 in the morning for the experience of a lifetime. Eight hours after boarding the train I arrived at my destination, the Imperial Theater in New York City. That night I witnessed one of the final performances of Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812, a Broadway show which is based on Tolstoy's War and Peace. This show with its spunky, energetic, and jaw dropping set design captured a world long since forgotten, 19th century Russia. 

Though I am not a theater buff by any sense of the phrase, I do know what I enjoy and how the actors make me feel. Immediately upon entering the theater from a backstage door to get onto the main stage where my seat was, banquette tables, I was struck by the grandeur and opulence of this theater. Surrounding the whole theater was scarlet velvet curtains with many paintings of prominent Russian political figures, landscapes, and Leo Tolstoy himself, this cluttered view gave an atmosphere of comfort and familiarity which prepared the audience for the intimate show about to unfold. The lighting of the theater is my favorite aspect of the set! The chandeliers and lights dotting the theater make you feel surrounded by stars and in the end, the great comet of 1812. The experimental staging that allows audience members to experience the show from onstage surrounded by the actors, lighting, and cozy atmosphere this show has stolen my heart. 
The view of stage from my banquette table

The electrifying set is the perfect setting for the electro-pop opera that rocks the stage for two and a half hours while you experience this story of love, loss and betrayal. Each actor and actress which was chosen to perform in this show has unique talents and vocal ranges which gives a distinct characteristic to this show. Some of my favorite actors and actresses include: 
Meeting Brittain Ashford at stage door.
  • Brittain Ashford: Brittain plays Sonya, who is Natasha's tormented and awkward cousin. Her voice is a distinct and very interesting mix of operatic tones with an upbeat and fun range. Through listening to the soundtrack for this show, and seeing her perform I am able to pick out her voice anywhere. Uniquely perfect. 
  • Grace McLean: Grace played Marya D, both Natasha and Sonya's godmother. The sass that Grace gave to this minor character from the novel written by Tolstoy so long ago quickly made her character my second favorite character in the show! Her voice has a similar range to Britain's, though distinct in its own right. The heated moments, sass, and kind guidances which Grace performed in this show will forever stay with me. My favorite moments of hers are her entrances in Sunday Morning, and The Opera. 
  • The lovely Grace McLean!
  • Dave Malloy: Dave is something very special within this show, not only is he the creator and writer of this madness, but he also played Pierre Bezhukov when I saw the show, my favorite character. Pierre is a bewildered and sad character for much of the novel and show which has lead me to connect immediately upon similar bewildered feelings. Malloy captures the awkward brilliance of Pierre's character with effortless grace. His voice, though not at all similar to Josh Groban fit the character with a rustic and gruff range that made me laugh and cry along with Pierre.
The Great Comet, stunning lights.
Though I could chatter on for hours about the lovely cast of this show, I would also like to draw attention to the best set of ensemble members that I have witnessed. This group of diverse, happy go lucky individuals which is occasionally joined by cast members such as Grace McLean, gave the show a raucously fun atmosphere. The scenes where the ensemble arrived to the stage captured my attention most of all, Balaga and The Abduction were both chaotic and riveting to witness/experience.  During Balaga, the actor playing Balaga (a mad Troika driver) was dancing in my face and interacting with us. This show shatters the fourth wall and gave audiences unique intimate moments with each high profile actor unlike any other show to grace Broadway. I will never forget this show and the glorious people who made it possible. All cast members, supporting and major, gave this show the life in which I believe Tolstoy captured in War and Peace, the complete joy and sorrow which is life. 

Entering the dazzling world of War & Peace.

This show has since closed and been removed from its Broadway home at the Imperial Theater, I still feel the power from the cast and its messages about life even twenty-one days after it has closed. Dave Malloy has created a niche in theater which I did not know I was missing until I experienced Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812, classic novels in musical form! This show captured the wits and wisdom of Leo Tolstoy in a way that is engaging and accessible to everyone which is no easy task. It has also become a part of my heart and will remain there for decades to come, it has shown me true joy, and acceptance. 

This show, though no longer on Broadway, is bound to return and burn brightly again. It is a must see production when the comet ignites once again! 


Thank you for changing my life and pushing me to read and experience War and Peace in two mediums Dave Malloy!
Meeting Dave Malloy at stage door!

Goodbye my gypsy lover...

Comments

Popular Posts