Reading Update

Reading Update
July 25th 2018


Since I last posted I have completed four new novels that I would like to at the very least let you all know about. As it has been quite some time since I have completed them, I do not have the details fresh enough to write a comprehensive single review of each. These four novels were read predominantly as audiobooks whilst I was driving or getting ready for the day. Audiobooks are not my preferred format; however with this summer's chaos I am able to read more through listening. The books I have completed since the last time that I posted are: 
  1. Moonstone by: Sjon
  2. The Only Pirate at The Party by: Lindsey Stirling
  3. I Am, I Am, I Am by: Maggie O'Farrell
  4. Tangerine by: Christine Mangan

To remain in chronological order I will start by discussing Moonstone. Moonstone is an interesting short novel that I first heard about on Simon of SavidgeReads YouTube channel for the way Sjon deals with magical realism and the landscape of Iceland. The setting initially is what drew me to this novel, Iceland is not the typical setting seen in today's fiction. I was all together trepidatious about the magical realism aspect of the novel because I feared that I would not comprehend the allusions Sjon was creating. Sadly, my trepidatious attitudes towards this novel came true. The beginning and end of the book follow "The Boy who never was" of which I enjoyed those sections immensely; however, the middle section of this short novel read as though it was the author's fever dream. Such magical realism such as plagues were used in this section, which I must admit, I have blocked from memory. All together, this novel was a well written and entertaining work of translated fiction that lost me along the way but kept me intrigued enough to continue reading. If you enjoy magical realism, want to discover a new landscape, and are interested in the history surrounding gay rights in Iceland then this book is for you. 

The second book that I read after completing Moonstone was The Only Pirate at the Party by: Lindsey Stirling. This book is a memoire of Lindsey's track to fame, and her touring routines. I once again listened to this on audio which was phenomenal since the author narrates it herself! I am a HUGE fan of Lindsey's music and have had the privilege to see her perform once, which is where my interest initially was sparked for this book. However, after reading it, I must say, you do not need to be a fan of her music to gain valuable and inspiring messages on life from it. Lindsey's infectious positivity and zest for life transferred wonderfully to the page, even though there are hard hitting topics in this such as eating disorders, depression, and not believing in one's self. If you are at all interested in finding a well written and uplifting memoire, I would strongly recommend listening to this on audio!

I Am, I Am, I Am is another memoire, this time it is focussed around the author, Maggie O'Farrell's seventeen near death experiences. This is one that I have less to say about, strictly because I fear rating a person's near death experiences is rather unethical and alarming. Overall, this memoire gave me a greater appreciation for the menial attributes of life, and opened my eyes to an author whom I wish to now read their entire backlist. O'Farrell's writing is crisp and clear, fun and engaging regardless of the subject matter. I have since started reading This Must Be The Place by: Maggie O'Farrell and am voraciously consuming each page, her characters are both fully realized individuals and flawed which creates interesting dynamics. 

The final novel that I have completed recently was, Tangerine by: Christine Mangan. This was a buddy-read with Ange from BeyondThePages on YouTube. We both went into this novel with high hopes for this book, because of the large amounts of praise that we had both seen floating around; however we both finished the book feeling rather deflated and detached. I could discuss this at length, and may still do so, however the basic reasons for our indifference towards this book was because of the distance we felt towards the characters. Though this is supposed to be a psychological thriller, I must say it is hard to be "psychological" when it feels as though a traditional narrator is regurgitating events that have happened in the past. Aside from the distance from each characters, the plot was predictable as well which ultimately tipped this novel into the three star category. Mangan can clearly write well, which is one of the only reasons I am looking forward to her next novel.

Man, oh man was that a rambling post. I hope to update sooner this next round to avoid all of this rambling. I am currently reading: 
  • The Master and Margarita by: Mikhail Bulgakov
  • This Must Be The Place by: Maggie O'Farrell
  • Waking Gods by: Sylvain Neuvel

Happy Reading!


Comments

Popular Posts